Sunday, January 22, 2012

Education

There's only one more all nighter between me and a three week break! Hooray!

So my dearest father is always bugging me to write more about school (love you Dad!) so here's a summary of the paper's I've written for finals. See I do work here!

--An 8 page paper on the relationship between civil society and democratic consolidation using Turkey as a case study. (Sounds horrible, right? Political science is lurking around my course work like some horrible zombie that won't die)

--A syllabus for a pretend class on militarization in Modern Turkish history. Seventy pages of reading a night for my pretend students! Sorry pretend class!

--A 16 page paper for sociological theory on Robert E. Park, an urban sociologist part of the Chicago School, and Karl Marx. It's basic thesis is that Park problemitized the city, but failed to see that the capitalist system was the source of many of these problems. Basically it was a big "I love Marx" paper.

--The last one is a 15-20 page paper comparing laïcité in France and Turkey. I haven't finished this one yet, but I will tonight! I chose this topic because both France and Turkey have a strict secular system which would appear to allow for religious freedom because the government separates church and state. In reality both France and Turkey have problems with recognizing and giving equal rights to their religious minorities. My paper examines why laïcité creates problems for religious minorities when it should, on paper, give religious freedom to all. We'll see how this one goes! It's sort of turned into a paper on how laicite becomes part of the national identity of a country. We'll see. I've written a few pages.

Anyway, so there you have it, I do actually go to school and work while I'm here. Actually this whole last month has flown by because I've literally been in the library for the past 2 full weeks.

Well I'm off to the library to get this last paper out! Sorry if this post was boring, but my life has been these papers for the past two weeks. It's almost over! So close!

No comments:

Post a Comment