Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Die Luft!

I'm loosing my culture! So as discussed in my last post, the US does have a culture, but I'm loosing mine! Neiiiin!

Well not really, but the other day I used the word "holiday" instead of "vacation." I know what you're thinking, 'you're in Germany, not England Kristina." Yes, yes very true, but most people in Europe learn British English and my constant attempts to be understood (in my own language to people who also speak my own language, cue the identity crisis) by people who speak English as a second language I just take on some weird British pseudo-English phrases. However the other day when I inappropriately used "holiday" I was talking to a native English speaker who would have also understood vacation! Ahh! Side note: fanny means something completely different in England which makes the silly bag more commonly known as a 'fanny pack' hilarious to most British people.

Besides English I've also started opening my windows when I wake up in the morning and when I get home after school. This sounds harmless, but when I first got to Germany two years ago I used to think Germans were nuts for doing this. See there's this thing called Luft (air in English) and its a really prickly matter. Germans have this idea that Luft can go bad and you should keep a nice circulation of the Luft. This results in classrooms having their windows opened in freezing weather for longer than 20 minutes typically before and after every class! Or opening up their apartment windows when there's snow outside. Cold! Very cold! I used to think it was totally crazy because who in their right mind wants to open the window when its 30 degrees outside?? No one! It's cold out there, that's why I'm wearing a jacket, a scarf, and a hat! BRRR. But alas I'm turning into what I hate, a proponent of the Luft. Maybe it's because I thought it was a little stuffy or because I feel like I have to keep the apartment smelling fresh, I don't know! I can't explain it, but when I woke up this morning I opened my window for 15 minutes to get some fresh air in...?

No comments:

Post a Comment